TOP PHOTO: This is the City of Lafollette limits looking north. This is a picture of the two stone columns that were located on what we know today as North Tennessee Avenue. They were about 100 yards north of the Iron Street turn off at the railroad trestle. The picture shows the north side looking toward Big Rock. The columns were removed in the 1980s by the city.
By Charlie Hutson
LAFOLLETTE, TN (WLAF) – It was 125 years ago this week when the area of Big Creek Gap that had been carved out for a town became official. A new town named Lafollette (named after Harvey Marion Lafollette became incorporated on February 1, 1897. Making Lafollette the newest town in Tennessee.
The town started with a population of around 300 people. Lafollette boundaries back then were East to Massachusetts Avenue, West to 27th Street, South to Linden Street and North to a couple of stone columns on what today is North Tennessee Avenue about 100 yards past Iron Street.
Becoming incorporated meant Lafollette citizens could elect their own governing body and set forth rules and regulation allowed by the charter.
Lafollette’s first mayor was Warren T. Evans. The first council included Grant A. Lafollette, Robert B Winkler, Thomas Bratcher, Issac N. Myers and Thomas Dabney. The City Clerk was J.R. Lett, and James K. Agee was City Judge.
(WLAF NEWS PUBLISHED – 02/03/2022-PHOTOS COURTESY OF WLAF’S CHARLIE HUTSON)