TOP PHOTO: This 1956 photo looks a lot different than the now Tennova Lafollette Medical Center looks some more than 65 years later.
By Charlie Hutson
LAFOLLETTE, TN (WLAF) – This is an aerial view of the recently opened Lafollette Community Hospital. On Sunday, July 15, 1956, Lafollette Community Hospital was dedicated, and the next day patients were being accepted.
This image shows the front parking lot and the east side where the emergency room entrance was located. This side was also reserved for doctors parking.
When the hospital opened, there was only one wing. At the far end of the east wing was the operating and recovery rooms, along with the labor and delivery department.
In 1960, only four years later, the west wing was added to the hospital providing 32 more beds.
Today, the chimney at the rear of the original building still stands. (WLAF NEWS PUBLISHED – 06/15/2023-6AM)