JACKSBORO, TN (WLAF) – The old, old Campbell County Jail in the photo above was built in 1917. Earlier this week, ground was broken on a new expansion to the sheriff’s office.
According to WLAF’s Charlie Hutson, back in the day, the jail was separate from the courthouse. The jail was also the home for the serving sheriff. In many cases, the sheriff’s wife was the jail cook or would be the overseer of that part of the jail.
This building once sat where the election commission building is now. It served as the jail from 1917 until 1962.
In 1962, the courthouse annex and new jail were built. That jail served until the present day jail was built. (WLAF NEWS PUBLISHED – 09/02/2021-6AM-PHOTO COURTESY OF WLAF’S CHARLIE HUTSON)