KNOXVILLE, TN. (WLAF)- The Eastern District of Tennessee U.S. Attorney J. Douglas Overbey wants the public to report suspected fraud schemes related to COVID-19 (the Coronavirus).
The public can report the suspected schemes by calling the National Center for Disaster Fraud (NCDF) hotline (1-866-720-5721) or to the NCDF e-mail address email@example.com.
In coordination with the Department of Justice, Attorney General William Barr has directed U.S. Attorneys to prioritize the investigation and prosecution of Coronavirus fraud schemes.
Some examples of these schemes include:
– Individuals and businesses selling fake cures for COVID-19 online and engaging in other forms of fraud.
– Phishing emails from entities posing as the World Health Organization or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
– Malicious websites and apps that appear to share Coronavirus-related information to gain and lock access to your devices until payment is received.
– Seeking donations fraudulently for illegitimate or non-existent charitable organizations.
– Medical providers obtaining patient information for COVID-19 testing and then using that information to fraudulently bill for other tests and procedures.
(WLAF NEWS PUBLISHED- 03/25/2020- 6AM)